Storm surge risks get their own graphics, warnings
Published 4/15/2014 at 3:44 p.m. 0 comments
The National Hurricane Center hopes new color-coded maps they're trying out this year will simplify two important points about storm surge for coastal residents: how far from the beach the water will spread and how high that water will rise.
Hurricane sales tax period gains strength in House
Published 3/19/2014 at 6:55 p.m. 0 comments
A proposal that would allow people to avoid sales taxes while stocking up on storm gear at the start of hurricane season continues to gain strength in the House.
Two simple things you already do that could save a life
Published 2/28/2014 at 11:37 a.m. 0 comments
Can you use a phone? Can you look to the sky? I’m betting the answer to both of these questions is yes. Then you’re qualified to be a storm spotter.
Sales tax holidays can aid consumers, raid local government budgets
Published 2/10/2014 at 6:20 a.m. 0 comments
The governor's budget included a tax-free holiday for hurricanes for the first time since 2007. He's also proposing a tax free holiday for back to school shopping.
Gov. Scott seeks 15-day hurricane supply tax holiday
Updated 1/28/2014 at 11:13 a.m. 0 comments
MIAMI (AP) — Floridians would get a 15-day sales tax holiday on hurricane preparedness supplies ranging from portable generators to radios this coming June under a proposal outlined Monday by...
Weak 2013 Atlantic hurricane season draws to close
Updated 11/25/2013 at 5:34 p.m. 1 comment
The 2013 Atlantic season has delivered the fewest hurricanes since 1982, U.S. forecasters said Monday, despite their predictions in May that it would be a busier than normal year.
Typhoon Haiyan's storm surges caught Philippines by surprise
Published 11/11/2013 at 7:44 a.m. 0 comments
Brick-and-mortar structures were simply no match for the jet-force winds and massive walls of waves that swept ashore Friday, devastating cities, towns and villages and killing thousands.
One of strongest storms on record blasts Philippines, kills 4
Updated 11/8/2013 at 9:18 a.m. 0 comments
One of the strongest storms on record slammed into the central Philippines on Friday, killing at least four people, forcing hundreds of thousands from their homes and knocking out power.
Sandy survivors to light up shore on storm's first anniversary
Published 10/29/2013 at 5:48 a.m. 0 comments
Candles and flashlights will light up the shore along the East Coast as survivors of Superstorm Sandy pay their respects to what was lost when the storm roared ashore one year ago.
Hurricane-force gusts batter Britain, France
Published 10/28/2013 at 7:42 a.m. 0 comments
A major storm with hurricane-force gusts is lashing southern Britain, parts of France and Netherlands, causing flooding and travel delays.
Tropical Storm Lorenzo forms in the Atlantic
Published 10/22/2013 at 4:54 a.m. 0 comments
Tropical Depression 13 developed Monday morning about 600 miles east of Bermuda, and was upgraded to Tropical Storm Lorenzo later Monday evening.
Raymond becomes major hurricane as it nears Mexico's Pacific coast
Updated 10/21/2013 at 5:59 p.m. 0 comments
Hurricane Raymond gained more strength as it remained nearly stationary off Mexico's southern Pacific coast Monday, though it threatened to hurl heavy rains onto a sodden region already devastated by last month's Tropical Storm Manuel.
Typhoon Nari leaves 6 dead, 7 missing in Vietnam
Published 10/16/2013 at 7:25 a.m. 0 comments
Typhoon Nari killed six people in Vietnam, left seven others missing and destroyed or damaged thousands of homes, officials said Wednesday.
Typhoon Nari barrels toward Philippines
Published 10/11/2013 at 8:43 a.m. 0 comments
A tropical storm barreling toward the northern Philippines on Friday intensified into a typhoon with destructive winds and rain threatening farmland and populated areas, including the capital, Manila.
SW Florida weather: Rain chances higher today, but sunshine ahead
Published 10/7/2013 at 5:52 a.m. 0 comments
This week, expect daytime highs near normal in the upper 80s with overnight lows in the upper 60s to lower 70s.
- Newer Stories
- Older Stories
- Oct 4th 2013 Tropical Storm Karen takes aim at…
- May 31st 2013 2013 Hurricane Guide Graphics
- May 31st 2013 2013 Hurricane Guide Photos
- Oct 29th 2012 Hurricane Sandy - Monday
- Aug 30th 2012 Gulf, human toll high as Isaac moves on
- Aug 27th 2012 After Isaac At Naples Pier
- Aug 27th 2012 Tropical storm Isaac on Fort Myers Beach
- Aug 26th 2012 Pet-friendly hurricane shelter at…
- Aug 26th 2012 Bonita Springs prepares for Tropical…
- Aug 26th 2012 Tropical Storm Isaac on Marco Island
- Aug 26th 2012 Tropical Storm Isaac in Everglades…
- Aug 26th 2012 AP Photos: Tropical Storm Isaac
- Jun 6th 2013 Gov. Scott on Tropical Storm Andrea
- Aug 26th 2012 Naples ready for Isaac
- Aug 26th 2012 Cell phone: Bonita resident on TS Isaac
- Aug 26th 2012 Cell phone: Playing soccer during Isaac
- Aug 26th 2012 Tropical Storm Isaac affects RNC
- Aug 25th 2012 Fort Myers prepares for TS Isaac
- Jul 20th 2012 During the Hurricane
- Sep 3rd 2011 New Orleans endures Lee, floods
- Jul 1st 2011 After the Hurricane
- Jul 1st 2011 During the Hurricane
- Jul 1st 2011 Before the Hurricane
- May 31st 2011 Before the Hurricane